Open source monitoring can be a useful step in the IT process for small companies that are just beginning to monitor their IT infrastructure and applications. However, as companies grow and their IT needs mature, they often require a more comprehensive IT monitoring solution that offers unified dashboards and reporting, broad and deep capabilities, greater flexibility, and easier administration. More often than not, enterprises run into a common problem set when using open source tools for monitoring:
- High Administration Costs: Constantly configuring and maintaining open source monitoring can be very time-consuming, while upgrading and integrating these tools can have serious consequences if not done properly. In most cases, the administration costs are high, requiring at least one full-time tool administrator (40-hours per week) to keep the IT monitoring tool running.
- Unreliable Support: Open source Support can be hit and miss, with the majority of Support being out-sourced overseas. This can lead to lower quality support services, with the end result being longer outages and slower mean-time-repair times.
- Not Ready for Enterprise: Many of the open source IT monitoring tools lack the solutions and features that growing companies need, including customizable and role based dashboards, SLA reporting, multi-datacenter monitoring, and clean integration with existing IT and business tools.
Companies looking for an enterprise friendly commercial IT monitoring solution should expect Support and features that go above and beyond what open source can offer, including:
- A Unified and Scalable View of IT Health: A unified dashboard that provides clear views and comprehensive reporting on the health of the IT environment across all servers, VMs, applications, and the network (on-premise, remote, or in the cloud)
- Proactive Capacity and Availability Monitoring: Ensuring services are available and meeting SLAs is essential. Reactive monitoring and false alerts just don’t cut it. An enterprise-level IT monitoring solution should include proactive monitoring that provides reports and alerts before services are compromised or capacity is overshot. up.time’s proactive monitoring, alerting, and reporting is able to head off the majority of capacity and availability problems before they happen. When incidents do happen, up.time’s fast root-cause analysis tools make finding and fixing issues easy, no matter where they’re hiding in the infrastructure.
- A Comprehensive and Unified Solution: Open-source tools can have trouble scaling, requiring multiple plugin frameworks that become very difficult to maintain over time. up.time is able to provide a richer feature set that is easier to maintain. Upgrading is simple, and extending up.time with free plugins is a snap.
Make sure to stay tuned for the next blog by subscribing to our blog.